Easy Curly Girl Method For Beginners
Looking for a simple and easy curly girl method for beginners that will make your curls look amazing? You’re in luck cause today, I’ll be sharing my complete curly girl method routine I’ve been using for over a year that works like a charm.
This curly hair routine is very easy to copy and it’s even great for beginners. I know, taking care of curls can be frustrating and everyone is always pushing products as if it’s the only way to get the best curls. (which it isn’t!)
By trying the following routine, you will be able to improve your curls naturally.
Curly Hair Method Basics & Guidelines
So the curly girl method is actually very easy and consists of 4 simple steps which are:
- 1. Cleanse – wash your scalp and hair with sulfate-free shampoo
- 2. Condition – use a leave-in conditioner to add moisture to the hair and smooth the hair cuticle
- 3. Styling – use a large brush to brush starting from under upward to curl to set the curls in place
- 4. Drying – let your hair dry naturally and allow the curls to sit in their natural state
Now just to be clear, the routine above is only effective for those with naturally curly hair. It doesn’t require any extra products just your regular sulfate-free shampoo and a good leave-in conditioner for curly hair to get fuller curls.
If you are new to the curly girl method, here are some of the most important guidelines to follow when getting started:
1. Stop Using Heat– if you want to get full healthy curls, you will need to stop flat-ironing, using hot water to wash your hair, blow-drying, and using curling irons. Using them will dry, thin, and damage your hair.
2. Use Sulfate Free Shampoos– you want to steer clear of using shampoos and conditioners that contain sulfate because they will strip your hair of natural oils and dry it out.
3. Silicones/polymers– never use products that contain silicones while on the curly girl method. Using them will cause build-up on your curls, leaving them lank, dry, flat, and greasy.
4. Waxes and mineral oils– similar to silicones, most waxes, and mineral oils can build up on your hair and can only be removed with heavy-duty sulfates so it’s best not to use them.
5. Alcohols– you will need to stop using hair sprays and dry shampoos that contain alcohol because they can degrade your hair cuticle so it’s best to go with alcohol-free dry shampoo and alcohol-free hairspray instead.
6. Do not towel-dry– using towels to dry your hair will rough up your hair cuticle and lead to frizz and tangles.
7. Style with ease – make sure to only use loose styles and refrain from tying your hair in tight ponytails to prevent your hair from breaking and losing its curls.
8. Sleep With Ease – always pull your hair all the way on top of your head like a pineapple and using a large elastic band, tie it into a bun but very loosely. Make sure it’s not tight to prevent damage.
What Can You Use
Since all of the products above are a no-no for the curly girl method, I’m sure you may be asking what you can use right? Well, here are your best options.
- Sulfate-free clarifying shampoo
- Cleansing cream (optional)
- All-natural conditioner
- All natural pure gel
That’s all you’ll need for the CGM, these products are really cheap so you are not gonna spend an arm and a leg.
Easy Curly Girl Method For Beginners
Okay so before we begin with my easy curly girl method for beginners, I just want to give you a little tip, stay motivated, if you’re not getting the results you want right away don’t give up.
Now you are going to go through a transition phase and that’s where most people get discouraged and stop the CGM method but that’s not you right cause you’re going to push through!
To help you get through this stage, find some Facebook groups on the curly girl method, and those before and after pictures will keep you motivated.
By following the tips above, in a few months, your hair will become healthier, fluffier, bouncier, and full of volume.
My Easy Curly Girl Method Routine For Beginners
Step 1– start by washing your hair with sulfate-free, alcohol-free, silicone-free shampoo
Step 2– apply the same type of conditioner to your scalp and hair while massaging lightly until your whole hair is covered
Step 3– rinse the conditioner out of your hair and reapply but this time, start at the ends and work your way up
Step 4– when applying the conditioner, use your fingers to comb through your hair lightly to detangle
Step 5– while the conditioner is still in your hair, start scrunching your hair until you’ve scrunched your whole hair and set it into a bun for 10 minutes before rinsing it out with cold water
Step 6– lightly apply a CGM-approved gel of your choice all over your hair including the roots using a patting motion. Now you want to continue scrunching your whole hair until you are satisfied with the results.
Step 7– get a t-shirt and lay it on a flat surface, tip your head upside down, and let your curls fall onto the t-shirt. Tie your hair with the T-shirt like a turban and wait for 5-10 minutes until the cloth soaks up all the excess fluid.
Step-8– the final step is optional but if you want more volume in the roots, use a few bobby pins and pin up the front of your hair but make sure that roots are loose.
Thats it! That’s the full curly girl method for beginners that you can start using right away! I hope you found this post helpful and please share your tips in the comments below. Don’t forget to save for later and you can also find me on Pinterest for more awesome tips.